Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Oldies but Goodies


Sometimes I wonder this. Am I old? Not physically, I mean I am only 21 after all; I'm one of the youngest members of my guild. I'm actually younger than most people I know on WoW, despite the stereotype that Horde/Alliance are 13 year olds (depending on your faction).

But I find myself often being the oldest character in most situations. I know about 6 other players who have been playing the same length (and 2 longer than me) of time on my realm. I'm sure they're are far more than that, but all considering, most of my realm are Burning Crusade Babies (as I like to call them). And now we have an even larger rush of Wrath of the Lich King Babies, and alot of these people are returnee's to WoW after TBC.

I've been playing my Hunter main, Rikaku, for 4 years. She's been the only toon of mine to actually hit the level cap, despite the fact I have over 20 alts of varying classes and levels. I don't consider myself a Hunter guru by any means (but ask me about the Lore of a quest, I dare you!), I'm just your regular Hunter casual who enjoys a good quest and loves mount-loot. But with this large influx of new players, I find myself often quoting things of the past that just go over newer players heads.

Does anybody remember Ragnaros? Those 3 days of Molten Core runs, hoping your Giantstalker peices would drop? Or maybe you'd finally get Tranquilizing Shot? It's funny how, now, when I mention it most Hunters don't believe me we had to get a drop to learn it. I also remember when Molten Core first came out how Hunter Pets and Warlock Demons could be "the bomb" and be dismissed; Only to be summoned in Ironforge and wreck havoc amongst the populace.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there isn't memorable stuff in Wrath of the Lich King. There is! Between fighting as Arthas against Illidan, to the Wrath Gate, to defeating Malygos; there's memorablia in it all. But sometimes, there's fond nostalgia. "Time makes the Heart grow fond", and I think that's true for the old dungeons. With the Achievement system implemented, there are daily Molten Core, Blackwing Lair, Ahn'Qiraji & Zul'Gurub runs, you name it.

So, take it from me, if you haven't ran any of these dungeons before and you're a BC/WotLK Baby, run one of these dungeons. If you're a mount collector, achievement-collector, aspiring Loremaster, or even just a collector of neat looking weapons, there's something for you in the old dungeons; Just gotta dust them off and experience it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good deal of the old timers are gone now, my friend. Time passes, and people move on. This isn't the WoW of four years ago, or even of three, sadly.

Rikaku said...

So it seems Palla, so it seems =( I really miss some of the things of Old WoW.

Anonymous said...

I agree. Blizzard did a good job in making more useful stats for people, but it's like they forgot something important at the same time. Not to mention the quality of people playing the game seems to deterioate more and more as time passes.

Rikaku said...

I agree, I miss the days when you actually needed competent players to complete something. Don't get me wrong, it's great that players (casuals) like me get to see the end of raids, but I don't like it when even I run out of raids to do.

Anonymous said...

End game....is kind of funny. There isn't an end game, not really. Not like their used to be. And Blizzard can only add so much at any one time. The new instance is going to go just as fast as everything else did, and we'll be left with another six months of nothing. This is really a design flaw on Blizzards part. With a company that large, with as much revenue they bring in, they could and SHOULD have a second team working on future content at all times, instead of just focusing on this patch.